California GEAR UP hosted their northern Continuing Sustainability Schools in Berkeley today as part of the fall school based services event schedule that will run until the end of October. Participating GEAR UP Schools, many of which have been in the program for more than 5 years, the Continuing Sustainability Project develops and implements long-term strategies to maintain the active participation of middle schools with California GEAR UP and to chart the sustainability of program initiatives towards the development of a college-going culture. Many of our CSP school have been with us for 5 years and are in the culminating stages of their sustainability plans.
- Development of a high performance (stable, cohesive and communicative) GEAR UP Leadership Team that will lead the school community in continuously assessing the college-going culture of the school based upon the School Self -Assessment Rubric (SSAR) and the GEAR UP indicators.
- A clear understanding of what a college-going culture is and looks like as described by the school’s SSAR and the 5 GEAR UP Sustainability indicators.
- Continued measurable progress of the 5 GEAR UP Sustainability indicators:
- Sustainability of the Leadership Team
- Academic Rigor
- Academic Counseling
- College and Financial Aid Information for Students and Families
- Regular Involvement of Families
4. An alignment of the school’s Professional Development Action Plan with the GEAR UP Sustainability Plan.
“We are lucky to have GEAR UP over the last 5 years to focus on high quality teaching and school-wide involvement in the concept that all students can achieve…can go to college.”
California GEAR UP CSP school principal.