Contact the House and Senate Leadership, YOUR Members of Congress and the White House every day through August 2, and demand they protect GEAR UP.
The debt ceiling debate rages on in Washington, DC. Negotiations between the White House and Congress collapsed last week. Now, both the House and Senate leadership are pursuing two separate plans to raise the debt ceiling before August 2, when America’s borrowing authority reaches its legal limit, resulting in default.
As you can see, things are evolving very rapidly as time runs out and only three things are certain:
- Both Republicans and Democrats are aware of the need to raise the debt ceiling to avoid default, but there’s no agreement on how to do this;
- Both the House and Senate plans include $1.2 trillion in cuts to discretionary spending over the next 10 years (approx. 12 billion a year);
- You need to stand up for the principle that low-income people should be protected in whatever deal is cut.
You need to make sure your voice heard every day this week leading up to August 2 and demand that GEAR UP and other college access programs be safeguarded in the deal-making process.
Here’s what you can do now:
- Recruit 5 persons to reach out to the House of Representatives, Senate and White House (GEAR UP students, GEAR UP parents, GEAR UP teachers, GEAR UP partners, colleagues, friends and family).
- Contact the following offices:
- House of Representatives Leadership:- Offices of the Speaker of the House John Boehner (OH-8) @ (202) 225-6205 and (202) 225-0600;- Office of the House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (CA-8) @ (202) 225-4965 and (202) 225-0100;
- Senate Leadership:- Offices of the Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid @ (202) 224-3542;- Offices of the Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell @ (202) 224-2541;
- YOUR Members of Congress in the House and Senate (search for your Members of Congress)
- White House @ 202-456-1111 or 202-456-1414
- Follow-up with your group, ask them to continue the “chain” by recruiting 5 more people and get the word out!
PLEASE NOTE: Capitol Hill switchboards and websites have been overloaded over the past few days, keep insisting until you get through because GEAR UP must make its stand for college access, NOW!
“[ELECTED OFFICIAL NAME], the American people need you to protect the programs and services our low-income, minority and disadvantaged students depend on to enroll in and succeed in college. I urge you to defend GEAR UP in the debt-ceiling and deficit-reduction negotiations, because only an educated workforce can help us secure a prosperous economic future for our country.”
Thank you very much for your hard work and your support in responding to this call to action. It is very important that you act NOW for the duration of this process. Not doing so will have dire consequences for GEAR UP, college access and all of education for many years to come!