May 24, 2012 (Sacramento, CA) – California GEAR UP is pleased to announce the 48 schools selected to advance to the 2012-2017 California GEAR UP Implementation Phase. Through a highly competitive process, these schools were chosen from 168 applicants to the program. The goal of California GEAR UP is to provide a network of support for schools towards implementing long-term, sustainable strategies to create a college-going culture. We look forward to their growth and success as we collaborate to achieve this common purpose.
The official start date of the Implementation Phase is September 1, 2012. California GEAR UP will provide services to these schools through the end of the grant in August 2017. All school leadership teams are committed to work together to:
- Convene the GEAR UP Leadership Team of up to eight members on a regular basis;
- Support the GEAR UP Leadership Team and participate in professional development training
provided by California GEAR UP and program partners;
- Utilize the GEAR UP School Self Assessment Rubric (SSAR), to build and sustain a college-going culture for all students;
- Devise and implement the whole school GEAR UP Professional Development Action Plan (PDAP);
- Identify matching funds from non-federal resources towards developing a college-going culture;
- Submit an Annual Report of Funding detailing how PDAP funds were used and expended.
- Complete and submit annual School Survey and Evaluation data as requested;
- Develop a procedure to select student recipients of GEAR UP Education Trust Awards.
“We congratulate our California GEAR UP school teams of teachers, staff, students and families who will work together to create a college-going culture throughout their school community. Their successful practices, challenges and stories will be shared with schools throughout California as we work towards “Academic Excellence and College Access for ALL Students”. –Gina Rodriguez, Whole School Services Manager
The full list of 2012-2017 California GEAR UP Schools can be found on our website HERE.
Should you have questions about the selection process, you may contact Shelley Davis, Director, California GEAR UP at: (916) 551-1757 or firstname.lastname@example.org.