Join thousands of students, parents, teachers, partners and college access professionals from across the nation to celebrate GEAR UP and the successes of your hard work and dedication!
National GEAR UP Week is an opportunity for you to raise awareness in your community about the positive impact GEAR UP is having locally. It’s a time to engage all your stakeholders – local, state and federal elected officials, funders, partners, as well as local, state and regional media – to share your program’s accomplishments and to get them more involved with your services to students and families.
Don’t miss this opportunity to join Congressman Chaka Fattah (PA-02), GEAR UP’s Architect and Champion, as well as U.S. Department of Education officials, to commemorate your hard work and the progress our students are making towards achieving their life-long dream of going to college!
2013 National GEAR UP Week – September 23-27!
Plan now for success in September!
We encourage you to use the resources below to start planning and preparing for 2013 National GEAR UP Week.
Please share your plans, ideas, and materials with us so we can all benefit from your creativity and energy. Let us know if you have any questions or comments about National GEAR UP Week and check back often for additional/updated resources.
Inspiration & Resources:
- Get ready for 2013 National GEAR UP Week! webinar – Watch this 30 min. webinar recording for tips and ideas on how to plan and prepare to celebrate GEAR UP Week.
- 5 Ideas for National GEAR UP Week – Looking for inspiration? Look no further! Here are five quick ideas (including real, live examples) to get you started!
- National GEAR UP Week Planning Questions – Use these questions to guide your planning efforts with your team, partners, students, parents and/or volunteers.
- Proclamation request template – Use this letter template to request a proclamation for National GEAR UP Week from your Senators, Representatives, Governor, Mayor, Councilmembers, etc.
- Proclamation template – Attach this proclamation template to your proclamation request to save you time!
- Student letter to Member of Congress – Use this letter template as a guide to encourage your students to share their GEAR UP successes with their Members of Congress!
Press & Media
- Download the National GEAR UP Week logo
- Media Advisory – This template is to notify media outlets in your area to cover the event you are hosting. Media advisories are distributed ahead of the event so that outlets can schedule and plan to cover your event.
- Press Release – This template will help you create some “buzz” about your event. You can send it out before or after the event takes place, just make sure you edit it accordingly!
- Op-Ed: Guidelines & Talking Points – Op-eds are a great way to raise awareness about GEAR UP at the local and regional level. Follow the tips and use the template in this resource to submit your op-ed to your news outlet.
Let us know how you plan to celebrate in the comments section below!