California GEAR UP Family Initiatives Project (FIP) offers five-week sessions or one day, 5 hour sessions at selected schools based on the need for family programming strategies to enhance the participation of English speaking families at California GEAR UP schools. Schools take the lead in making community connections to ensure full participation. GEAR UP facilitators lead the interactive sessions. FIP Family University sample outcomes:
- FIP provides families with support, information and resources to increase family participation with the school and community so they can help their children succeed in school for a better future.
- The family gatherings focus on family involvement and positive proactive communication
- Helping families navigate the school system on the pathway to college.
- Discuss financial aid, A-G and graduation requirements
- Positive family communication and interaction
- College: Making it Happen materials.
- Priority application status for FIP graduates at California State University campuses
Here are some comments from attendees:
“Very good keep it up: Thank you for coming.”
“Thank you for making this workshop fun and very informative.”
“From this workshop I am better equipped to help my son and family with college and personal affairs.”
“Thank you one of the best meetings I have been to. Thank you.”
“This is a very informative and excellent seminar for parents and students. Thank you very much.”
“This workshop was very informative with lots of information that will be very useful in preparing for college. I am going to set up that college account.”
“I feel that the workshop was really educational for myself and child. Real helpful information thank you for your support.”
“Extremely informative and engaging workshop, we need to present this same information at the beginning of the school year. Details about how to conduct parent conference were helpful. African American parents felt heard and validated.”
“The workshop was very informative, educational and exciting. It wasn’t boring kept me entertained.”
“I think the presentation was good and informative and done at a good pace. Presenters were well prepared and handouts were excellent.”
Todays event at Everett MS featured laptop giveaway, excellent participation, and a tasty breakfast and lunch for all attendees.
Latptops and continual support for Everett was provided by Extreme Learning/Avanza Online.