for middle school students at participating GEAR UP schools.
Ambassadors Program: The California GEAR UP Educational Trust Award is unique in that it is given during the middle grades, as early motivation for students and their families. This $2,000 award is tangible evidence of our belief that with support and encouragement, college is not only possible, but attainable for all students. The Ambassador program was created so that Trust Award recipients now in college can share their experiences with middle school students, middle school staff, and other organizations.
The California GEAR UP model provides school-based services to ensure that students and their families have multiple college and career choices after high school. The scholarship component of the program requires the state to establish and maintain a financial assistance program for students to attend institutions of higher education.
Since 1999, 5,065 California GEAR UP students have received Education Trust Awards from the program. Of that number, 2,016 graduated from high school in 2008 and claimed their awards. Education Trust Awards provide $2,000 (plus interest) in resources to defray the costs of college attendance. Award recipients are selected by school personnel at California GEAR UP middle schools. The awards are available to students within one year of high school graduation and upon college enrollment.
- California GEAR UP Ed Trust Award Fact Sheet
- California GEAR UP Ed Trust Award Fact Sheet (Spanish)
- Education Trust Account Qualified Funds Withdrawal Form (This document is currently unavailable and will be updated soon.)
- Education Trust Award brochure
- Education Trust Award frequently asked questions (This document is currently unavailable and will be updated soon.)
- Change of address form
- Change of address form (spanish)
- Alternate Acceptance and Release Form (This document is currently unavailable and will be updated soon.)
California GEAR UP
Valley High School
6300 Ehrhardt Avenue, Rm D1
Sacramento, CA 95823
View the list of the number of 2007-2008 Education Trust Awardees per school, including the city, and school district.
Stories about students, schools, and Education Awards stories will be added to the website and blog when schools submit them.